Wednesday, February 24, 2010

First week in Seoul!

Hey everyone I made it through my first week almost and I am loving every moment of it so far. I have had so many new experiences so far that I don't know where to begin. First of all lets say that they let you drive on the side walks and don't think twice about doing so. There is so much food here that I have not even yet explored any of it because sadly to say I still crave American food but each day I am edging myself towards the Korean food. The weather here is amazing so far and feels like we are getting a touch of spring the last couple days.

Me and my buddy Matt went out the first weekend here and was planning on going out for a couple beers but we met these 2 girls from Canada and a guy that was from Alton Illinois and they took us to a district called Hongdae which is one of the many nightlife areas in Seoul. They said that we would not be going home until around 8 A.M. and I really doubted them but as I look down at my watch and walk out the bar with the sun rising I realized that it was true about the crazy nightlife in Seoul. I would have to say that my night or early morning ended very well and I have met so many people already that are just full of life and are on the same adventure that I am on.

I started my first week of school already and observed for the last 3 days. I will be starting on Tuesday with my own classes and so excited to just get my feet wet. It is so exciting because I can take what I have learned in my Master classes in Education and but towards the classes that I will be teaching. The staff is very nice so far and I am so blown away that the children are so smart and there work ethic is so different from the States. Education is a way of life here and most of these children can carry a fluent conversation with you in English which just blows my mind because when I was that age I did not even think about learning a second language. The days are long but you do have downtime and the structure is a little different then how we run our education system back home.

My living situation is not bad and it is what I expected. It is kinda like being back in college but in a huge ass city. Well so far that's been my first week with a few more things here and there. I should have more stories and I am looking forward to my 3 day weekend because March 2nd is South Korea's Independence Day. Hope all is well and I will be back soon with more of my adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment